Published: November 11, 2013
Gabriela Isler, Isn’t she lovely? Miss Venezuela, Gabriela Isler, was crowned as Miss Universe on Saturday night at Moscow’s Crocus City Hall. The 25-year-old beauty hails from Maracay, a city in north-central Venezuela near the Caribbean coast.
Patricia Rodrigues of Spain was the runner-up.
Isler’s win marks the third time Miss Venezuela has won the Miss Universe competition in six years.
Here are six things to know about 2013′s Miss Universe:
1. She’s no stranger to the small screen. Isler holds a bachelor’s degree in Business and currently works as a talent on the Venevision TV Network.
2. Just call her Molly. Isler’s full name is Maria Gabriela Isler. Her friends and family also call her by her nickname, Molly.
3. She’s a mama’s girl. The new Miss Universe credits her mother as her role model because despite the adversity she and her family faced growing up, she says her mother stayed strong and taught her that there was always a way to make ends meet.
4. She’s literally swimming in jewels. On her first day as Miss Universe, Isler posed in a custom-made bedazzled swimsuit that Miss Universe organizers said was worth $1 million. ”That swimsuit travels with an armed security guard 24/7,” said Miss Universe co-host Thomas Roberts.
5. The girl can move. As she demonstrated in the talent portion of the Miss Universe competition, Isler really knows how to shake it – flamenco style. She is an accomplished flamenco dancer in her native Venezuela.
6. She has friends in high places. Isler received personal shout-out from Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. He called her win a triumph for Venezuela.